Saturday, August 18, 2012

Kai's first hair cut

I love long hair. Like, LOVE it. I love it so much that I told Brad I wouldn't talk to him anymore when he cut his hair off (we are now speaking again). Before Kai was born I saw all of these little boys with beautiful long blonde hair playing on the beach, and dragging along their mini surf boards. I decided that would be my son. I said I wouldn't cut Kai's hair until he asked me to. I thought that would give a good 3 years before it bugged him enough to ask me to cut it, and then by that age I could reason with him to keep it long. 
Kai was born with some wispy hair on the top of his head, and a mullet in the back. As time passed, the rest of his hair started filling in. Unfortunately, the wispy stuff on top grew a lot faster than the hair on the sides and front, so it started to look like an old man who is trying to salvage what he has left by combing it over. It would stick out on the sides and the front just looked like fluffy wispy's. It was looking bad. Styling it was out of the question, and leaving it alone was even worse. 
I decided that if Kai was going to have beautiful long blonde locks, I needed to start him off with a fighting chance. It was time for a hair cut (just to even things out). I know it is silly, but it was one of the most heartbreaking moments of his life for me so far. I stood there with the scissors for about 5 minutes trying to find a way around it. Alas, it was the only option. 
He refused to sit still (evidently shiny scissors are pretty cool to look at). After a few quick cuts and some trimming on the side, and Kai's first haircut was over. Now we can style it, and he looks much better. He also looks like a little boy now instead of my baby. Good thing he is freaking cute. 
Before: Out of control

The pile of hair cut. It was a few inches long!

Cute styled mohawk after

He seems to like his hair cut

No comments: