Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Year, New Us

Look how healthy that stocked fridge is!
When I had Kai, I was so proud that I lost my baby weight in just about 6 weeks. My body still looked pretty awful, but the scale was forgiving. For some reason (laziness) I never toned back up and actually gained more weight after that initial 6 weeks. Christmas was the final straw. After eating more than our weight in delicious foods and sweets during the holidays, Brad and I gained more than a healthy amount of weight. We decided it was time to make some big changes in our life. I did a bunch of research and made menu's and workout plans for Brad and I to follow, with the goal of Kai's birthday (March 20) as our deadline to get in shape. 

Week one: we thought we were starving to death. Even with snacks in between meals we both thought we were wasting away. Working out kicked our butts and we could barely move. 
Week two: we cheated A LOT. We were absolutely awful at eating well, and we worked out super sporadically. 
Week three: we are doing better, but it is hard to come back from a bad week. I am proud to say that we have both lost an initial 10 lbs and I am losing inches in my measurements already! It is so exciting to see progress.  
I have learned that all diet food is not created equally. Our diet includes healthy organic meals that are low in calories. Some of the recipes have been super good, and some of them have been tasteless piles of mush. We are working on that. Another thing I have learned so far is that eating healthy is EXPENSIVE. It is so much cheaper to buy unhealthy stuff. The last thing I have learned so far is that preparing these meals is time consuming. I have to get up super early to cook breakfast and prepare lunch and snacks for the day so Brad can take them to work. This is a lot of work! 
Being healthy is more of a sacrifice than I thought. Regardless, we are determined...and now by posting this I am counting on anyone who reads this to hold me accountable. Ready go!
Chicken veggie salad- one of the successes.


This is what we are doing if you are curious. I have learned to hate her. 


4 comments:

RachelleP said...

I think you mean Kai, not Kia ;)

Krystal Ann said...

Haha good call. I fixed it.

brightonislove said...

Awesome! I want that salad recipe. It looks yummy!

Rachel Elder said...

Eating healthy is so much work! Your weight loss/gain sounds like mine! You're off to a better start than me though. Plus, I saw your fam pic and you look great. Share your recipes though!!